David and Pokey talk about the OsmAnd app
Hosted by David Whitman on 2014-03-27 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Listen in ogg,
mp3 format. | Comments (2)
Thanks to Pokey for being the expert in this oggcast.
Note: The song 'Do The Hokey Pokey is copyrighted'
OsmAnd (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap (OSM) data. All map data can be stored on your device's memory card for offline use. Via your device's GPS, OsmAnd offers routing, with optical and voice guidance, for car, bike, and pedestrian. All the main functionalities work both online and offline (no internet needed). Some of the main features:
- Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)
- Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices)
- Optional lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival
- Supports intermediate points on your itinerary
- Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route
- Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), or by geographical coordinates
- Display your position and orientation on the map
- Optionally align the map according to compass or your direction of motion
- Save your most important places as Favorites
- Display POIs (point of interests) around you
- Can display specialized online tile maps
- Can display satellite view (from Bing)
- Can display different overlays like touring/navigation GPX tracks and additional maps with customizable transparency
- Optionally display place names in English, local, or phonetic spelling
Use OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia Data
- High quality information from the best collaborative projects of the world
- Global maps from OpenStreetMap, available per country or region
- Wikipedia POIs, great for sightseeing (not available in free version)
- Unlimited free download, directly from the app (download limit 16 map files in free version)
- Always up-to-date maps (updated at least once a month)
- Compact offline vector maps
- Select between complete map data and just road network (Example: All of Japan is 700 MB, or 200 MB for the road network only)
- Also supports online or cached tile maps
- Optional automated day/night view switching
- Optional speed limit display, with reminder if you exceed it
- Optional speed-dependent map zooming
- Share your location so that your friends can find you
Bicycle and Pedestrian Features
- The maps include foot, hiking, and bike paths, great for outdoor activities
- Special routing and display modes for bike and pedestrian
- Optional public transport stops (bus, tram, train) including line names
- Optional trip recording to local GPX file or online service
- Optional speed and altitude display
- Display of contour lines and hill-shading (via additional plugin)
Directly Contribute to OpenStreetMap
- Report map bugs
- Upload GPX tracks to OSM directly from the app
- Add POIs and directly upload them to OSM (or later if offline)
- Optional trip recording also in background mode (while device is in sleep mode)
OsmAnd is open source and actively being developed. Everyone can contribute to the application by reporting bugs, improving translations, or coding new features. The project is in a lively state of continuous improvement by all these forms of developer and user interaction. The project progress also relies on financial contributions to fund the development, coding, and testing of new functionalities. By buying OsmAnd+ you help the application to be even more awesome! It is also possible to fund specific new features, or to make a general donation on osmand.net.
OsmAnd (OSM Automated Navigation Directions)
Comment #1 posted on 2014-04-02T16:45:48Z by pokey
Time for an update?
Damn! This ep wasn't even out a week, and they Reved the UI. Do we need to do an update show?
Comment #2 posted on 2014-04-03T13:27:27Z by Ken Fallon
Hummm let me think
<< First, < Previous, Next >, Latest >>
Note to Verbose Commenters
If you can't fit everything you want to say in the comment below then you really should record a response show instead.
Note to Spammers
All comments are moderated. All links are checked by humans. We strip out all html. Feel free to record a show about yourself, or your industry, or any other topic we may find interesting. We also check shows for spam :).